Application Process for Transfer Students
At SMFA, we value students who come from a variety of educational and experiential backgrounds. Because we offer a flexible studio curriculum and do not require a foundation year for our BFA program, we are uniquely poised to welcome transfer students.
Admitted transfer applicants to the BFA and Combined Degree (BFA + BA/BS) program will receive a preliminary evaluation of transferable credit immediately following their admissions decision. While there are limits to the amount of credit a transfer student can receive within a given academic distribution area, we are generally able to grant credit for the maximum number of transferable studio courses. For questions regarding transfers of credit, contact the SMFA Admissions team.
Students interested in both the Bachelor of Fine Arts and BFA + BA/BS Combined Degree apply directly through Tufts University using the Common Application. Everything that students need to apply, including the Tufts Short Answer Questions, is hosted on the Common Application website. Tufts University only accepts transfer applicants to these programs for the fall semester.
Please indicate on your application if you are applying to the BFA or Combined Degree program.
- Completed Common Application. This application includes the Transfer Application, College Report, Academic Evaluation, Extracurricular Activities and application fee.
- Extracurricular Activities. In addition to extracurricular involvement, SMFA at Tufts seeks students who are especially engaged in art-making. Use this section of the application to tell us about the ways in which you share your work with the world and/or pursue opportunities to work in new mediums. If you have shown your work in your high school or at a local gallery, taken classes outside of school, or participated in a pre-college program, tell us about it.
- All Secondary School Transcripts.
- Official College Transcripts.
- College Course Descriptions. These may be copied from your college catalogue.
- List of Courses In Progress on Transfer College Report.
- Transfer Mid-Term Report.
- Visual Art Portfolio. You must submit 15-20 images and/or up to 10 minutes of time-based work. See Portfolio Requirements.
More details on the Tufts application requirements and deadlines for transfer students, as well as Frequently Asked Questions, are available on the Tufts Undergraduate Admissions site.
Transfer Application and Portfolio Deadline: March 30th
Transfer Admissions Decision Notification: Occur on a rolling basis